The Port Noarlunga Soldiers' Memorial Bowling Club began in October 1939 on the banks of the Onkaparinga River, where the wooden playgound now stands.
River flooding was a major problem that meant a new site had to be found. The Noarlunga Council granted land at Witton Bluff on the Esplanade with room for 12 rinks on two greens.
Picture on right was taken in 1940.
After many hours of voluntary labour, the greens were opened on November 13th 1948 and the clubhouse opened in April 1949 with magnificent sea views.
The only drawback with this site was the lack of car parking space
and room for expansion, as the membership had grown to 170 men
Once again, the club had to move. This time to the old site of the River Road
Picture shows members working on the greens at Witton Bluff,
new clubrooms were built in 1986 on the new site at
W.M. Hunt Reserve
on River Road. Three greens were built with provision for a fourth.
green built over a rubbish tip was not a good idea as subsidence
meant that many tournaments had to be cancelled. Eventually the Council
dug out all of the old dump material from beneath the greens and
replaced it with good soil.
Finally, in 2006, a new synthetic green was put down, giving two
excellent grass greens and one synthetic.
Picture shows a game in progress on the synthetic green.